Friday 9 August 2013

I am guilty of making "empty threats" to my two young kids? But I see they do not take me seriously!! How can I correct this?






















Toddlers and preschoolers can easily pick up the difference between an “empty threat” and actual punishment. We really love our children, and we want what's best for them, but it's really important to follow through (on punishment)."
Not following through could result in the child never looking at the parent as an authority figure. And when bigger issues arrive, as they get older, the children may go another direction to find answers.



As a parent, it's tough for me to discipline my ten-year-old child. I want to believe that he can "do no wrong" but, in reality, mistakes will happen and, sometimes, he will have to be put in "timeout." But that being focused with discipline will benefit in the long run.

- Consistency is key. If you are not consistent and don't follow through, they won't listen, and they won't be as welcome when you do follow through. Routine and consistency will be good for the parents.

- When my son was younger, an occasional "timeout" punishment worked. For example, I would have him sit on a staircase step for a minute or two to let him calm down from a "terrible two" moment. I'll also have him try and "reverse" his negative moment and turn it into a positive. For instance, if he tosses a fork to the floor at the end of meal or snack time, I'll ask him to pick up the utensil once we're through eating. He enjoys helping out around the house, so picking up something to be cleaned or tossed makes him proud.

- Consider the circumstances leading up to the "empty threat" moment. When my son was jumping on the sofa, was he doing so over the excitement that his friends were visiting for his party? Was he tired because he wasn't able to nap earlier in the day?
It may be wise for parents to ignore the behavior for the time being. "After the party, go back to your child and talk about happened. Before the next event, let the child know what you expect from them."

- Positive reinforcement is also a key to helping your toddler or preschooler understand right from wrong.
Most of all, first-time parents must realise that Mums and Dads make mistakes too. No matter how many parenting books you read or family/friend advice you get, "oopsies" will happen.
Parents are learning just as much as their children are.

No comments:

Post a Comment